Sunday, April 5, 2009

You should know this about me

I'm not going to buy you a present for your birthday.
I'll try not to buy you one for Christmas.
I will buy you something if I see it, and it makes me think of you, and I think it would make you happy.
And I'll buy you a card and write something really cheesy but heartfelt and sincere.
But I'm not buying you a damn present because some commercial or "tradition" says I have to.

I'm not wasting money on wrapping paper. I'm not wasting paper on wrapping paper. I'm not worrying about spending money I don't have to buy you a gift you don't need. To add to your pile of -excess-

What really gets me though, is... as strongly as I feel this, I still feel guilty for not having a showy frilly box on the coffee table at my niece's 1st birthday. Last Christmas I bought my dad several things from Old Navy that I didn't think he'd really like... because I was feeling guilty for him not having more THINGS to open from me on Christmas morning. It's a sickness I'd like to expel from my system. My family knows... I've been trying.

And here I am, still trying :)

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE NOT THINGS

1 comment:

  1. If you could gift-wrap blog posts, I would totally gift-wrap this one and give it to all my friends, and my family, and also lots of other people too, and maybe even some strangers, because I found this really funny gift paper, and you can only buy it in huge rolls, and, well, I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

    ReplyDelete