Thursday, April 16, 2009

New opportunities. New risks.

This could be a really deep insightful post, but instead it's going to be about Facebook in particular, social media in general. And actually... that could get pretty deep and insightful.

Earlier tonight I was feeling especially... umm.. how you say... inclined to share my thoughts. I was finding myself quite entertaining and decided I shouldn't be the only one enjoying the show. So I posted a new facebook status, a new song, and then I think... another facebook status update. And the next time I visited Facebook (aka. 5 minutes later), I regretted my earlier shameless (?) self-expressions.

(Sidenote: I am well aware that I think too much. But this blog wouldn't exist if I didn't. You gotta take the good with the bad.)

But what do you do? It's already out there! Potentially 268 people were victim to that annoying blabbing in-your-face nonsense.

I deleted the posts that annoyed me, that I no longer wanted to have as part of my online persona, if you will (who says "If you will"?). So at least I stopped any further annoyed thought karma pointed in my direction. But that doesn't protect me from the people already affected... already thinking "Wow, she's annoying." I know I've thought that about others.

So what do you do?

Um.. post a blog entry about it that you might very well regret posting later? SURE!

I love my blog. I love my Facebook profile. I love putting my thoughts out there. But I always do it at a risk.

Apparently I've decided it's worth it.

I do want to say, I've had a sense of... foreshadowing. Forboding. I've learned to trust this feeling before. Something telling me I need to be careful. That I shouldn't pretend like the new openness of the internet is risk free. Sarah, be more careful.

And that last statement is really just a disclaimer protecting myself from you all saying "I told you so" whenever the whatever-it-is happens :)

1 comment:

  1. my friend likes to always say,"express, don't repress." i think those are wise words.

    ReplyDelete