Saturday, January 3, 2009

Blogger Virginity

So here I am... blogging. Ok. I think what I want to do is take how I write in my journal, but make a public version.

For those of you that don't know, I've been writing in a journal for 14 consecutive years. Since 8th grade, I've had a blank book with lined pages next to my pillow at all times.

When I was a kid, I'd always be writing stories, long notes to my parents, long descriptions of my family - written to no one in particular, just an account of who we were and how old everyone was and what our dogs name was... things like that.

So my parents started buying me books with blank lined pages to write in. I wrote a few stories about Santa Clause and a character named "Rachel" or "Joanna" (friends of mine at the time) who didn't get what she wanted for Christmas, or had a hamster that died... those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.

Well anyway, I remember the VERY first journal entry like it was yesterday. We were on Easter break and my sister did something to make me mad. She didn't want to rollerblade with me, or wouldn't let me use hers... somehow rollerblades were definitely involved. So in reaction to my overwhelming frustration at whatever she did, I pulled out the book I had at the time and started writing about... well, about rollerblades probably. And I haven't stopped writing since.

I can't even tell you how many journals I've stacked up over the years. 20 maybe? Probably more. They're in my bins in my mom's garage along with the other memorabilia from my life I just can't part with.

When I was younger, I'd write really detailed accounts of my day at school, what boy talked (or didn't) to me, an outfit I wore that I especially liked, fights with my sister, fights with my friends, who said what about who, etc.

The journals have definitely taken different shapes over the years and served different purposes.

Today I write in my journal when I'm confused, when I'm happy, sad, or angry. Mostly what inspires me to write these days are significant emotions or situations I'm trying to sort out. Or milestones I want to capture, feelings I want to remember.

So my train of thought just derailed itself. Is this blog too long? Now comes the self-editing part writers are supposed to avoid. I'm going to hit "save now" to see what happens next.

We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Nice use of my Facebook picture for the November 2008 entry (even though you missed THAT party!). I am so happy that I inspired you to start blogging. But don´t give up the journaling, otherwise you´ll have to edit all your feelings and what not for your new audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth I couldn't give up the journaling even if I wanted to. I don't think I ever will.

    ReplyDelete