Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 Highlights (no lowlights) from Sarah's year

Mostly from memory, but also looking back through my actual journals to get the dates right, here are the things I'd like to remember about 2008.


JANUARY
Mom and I bought me a new car. I'd been looking and looking and looking and then one morning, there she was. Affordable, new, automatic, sunroof - I was sold. And then so was the car. The car and I are still very much in love today.
Out with the old, in with the new

FEBRUARY
A "relationship" ended before it began. The word goes in "quotes" because although I was sad at the time, looking back I realize the whole thing was a joke, a lie. Painful, but quick.

Therefore the fact that it ended goes on the highlights list.

And I don't think I have anything else for February.


MARCH
Bought a new road bike (and even road it twice... all year). It does look great in my room at least. Good thing I got the light blue one, huh Lea?


APRIL
Two words: Emma Grace. Born April 2, 2008. Making a big brother out of my favorite little man.

Then three weeks later the family was back in Kaiser. My "back-screw-removal" surgery was scheduled for April 23. The first date they offered us was April 2. If you read the previous April highlight, you could probably guess why I asked for a different date. One kid in the hospital at a time is, well, more than enough.

The surgery and recovery process were a breeze for me. Literally. Yes Amy, quite literally. I'm healed and continue to get stronger.
Emma helping me recover - the perfect napping partner



MAY
Scott Evers proposed to my best friend. He and I were talking the day of and he had no idea what his plan was. I really didn't like anything he was coming up with so I begged him to put it off until he had a better idea. But he just went for it, pulling off quite a romantic proposal - all planned at the last minute.

After being sent on a scavenger hunt through Walnut Creek to all the places where their relationship started, Amy said yes when Scott asked "Will you marry me?" in the meadow with the sunset behind her.

And then (and this is my favorite part), he had Amy's close friends waiting at a fancy restaurant so we could all celebrate with them.

The wedding's in June 2009. Can't wait!
May 5, 2008


On May 21st, my dad and I went out to dinner to honor the year anniversary the day marked. It was May 21, 2007 that I fell off a third story balcony. Any more dialogue about THAT event will have to be a separate blog or two (or 4o).


JUNE
Through the magic of Craigslist.org, I met Seth as a potential roommate. I liked him and the apartment, but he wasn't sure right away because I didn't have a pet. Seth looooooves animals. But eventually he came to his senses... or the other person turned him down, either way... and I became the chosen one. The lease would start in August so in the meantime he and I would search for our third.


JULY
Coldplay concert with Seth.

It was a slow month, it seems.


AUGUST
Moved out of Dad's into my apartment in Belmont! The moving team consisted of Dad, Lea, and Duffy. I asked Lea to come with me because all of my more recent moving memories involved her. It wouldn't feel right if she wasn't there... or well, it just wouldn't have felt as complete. She came equipped with the graduation hat to make it official. Inside joke. Had to be there.

Dad and Duffy got the heavy stuff in pretty quickly and I learned that I need to hire movers next time I move my floppy Tempur Pedic mattress.

This was the month I started feeling like myself again. This was the real start of my new life post-accident. And make no mistake, it was all new. It was a grown-up version of moving out of mom and dad's after high school. Except this time I knew who I was, who I wanted to be, where I wanted to go, and how to get there.

The Democratic National Convention went off in Denver this month. Hilary Clinton made a statement that still brings a lump to my throat:

"My mother was born before women could vote. But in this election my daughter got to vote for her mother for President."


SEPTEMBER
Presidential campaign really started getting me fired up. Seth and I watched the first presidential debate at the Democratic Headquarters in San Carlos.



OCTOBER
My birthday. Always a highlight. This year I had the genius idea to make a trip to Boston, stay with Lisa and that Angela should meet me there. It was awesome, everything about it.

I hadn't seen Lisa in, what did we decide it was, 12 years? This was our first time together with me as an adult, if you can really call me that. We found our instant connection - Lisa said it was always there. I guess I was too young to remember, but it took my breath away. I had no cousins around growing up (well... except for Lisa) and am so very different from my mom and sister. So being around Lisa was just.... how do I explain..... well it was home.


Then back in California a few weeks later, we had a party at my apartment. It was a birthday party, a housewarming party and a welcome-home party for our new third roomie, Pierre. Oktoberfest themed, appropriately so. Just about all my friends in the same place at the same time. Doesn't get much better than that.


NOVEMBER
Barack Obama elected first black American to presidency. Amazing.
Yes we can!
Seth the Patriot


DECEMBER
I still have a job after my company lost it's #1, 2, and 3 accounts and had to lay-off 8 out of 22 full-time employees. The economic crisis has officially hit home.
Some key members of my IPS family

The Doran-Lindquist-Bartling Christmas brought everyone I love together in one house and I was reminded again how lucky I am to have the family I have.

I'm so fucking grateful.

Can't wait for 2009. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment