Sunday, July 12, 2009

My choice NOT to have an iPhone

I really want one.
Reeeeeaaaaallllllllyyy want one.
Which is exactly why I don't have one (other than the fact that I'm at the beginning of another 2-year contract with Verizon).

Ok that, and because of how addicted to technology I already am.

Ask me what the hardest part of leaving my last job was.
It was handing over my laptop.

My work laptop equalled my personal laptop which equalled quite a lot, really.

Sitting in the HR manager's office on my last day filling out my exit paperwork, I started the sentence, "I really don't want to have to leave..."
She thought that was the end of my sentence so she said, "We don't want you to leave either!"

But she said that in sync with me actually finishing my sentence, "I really don't want to have to leave... My... Computer."

"Oh.. I mean... k, awkward."

Not having a laptop was the reason I started to learn how to meditate this year. It was necessary... and helpful. I thought I'd maybe take a break from the internet... use the two weeks off as a REAL two weeks OFF. Disconnected.

So yeah, I thought about that for a couple of days and then Sunday afternoon I somehow found myself at Apple pulling out my credit card. And I loooove my Apple computer laptoppy top.

Ok so see, I have an affinity for technology.

If I had an iPhone, do you think I'd ever participate in the physical world again? No.

You'd find me sitting there with my nose touching the smooth big glass screen and asking you to text message me the question you just asked me because the text feature on my phone is so cool and I'd rather my response to you make a cute little noise and show up in a bright green bubble.

So no, Sarah can NOT have an iPhone. If you see me walking towards the Apple store, distract me with a Peet's iced soy latte.

Public Service Announcement. The more you know, the more you ... I don't remember the end of this motto. But this is the end of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment